What is it like being sparkly? Something about glitter makes me feel joyful inside. It is so much fun looking up definitions that I couldn’t help myself. The Oxford English Dictionary defines sparkle as [intransitive] sparkle (with something) to shine brightly with small flashes of light.
By comparison, the Urban Dictionary explains sparkle as what the Twilight vampires do (woot!), the act of throwing glitter on someone, or a bad case of diarrhea (wish I was kidding here). Urban dictionary also describes sparkle as a sensation you get when falling in love, which is much better than the diarrhea reference.
sparkle is a good thing
I love to twinkle! Never tiring of it, I always have been attracted to glitz and glam. As a 10 year old, I had a lavender satin baseball jacket and matching satin sneakers. Wow! I probably looked more like a shiny little freak but hey, it was the late 70′s and disco was king.
Over the years I bought countless glittery or shimmery eyeshadow. Not sure if this is an addiction to makeup, sparkle or both? I usually reserve shimmery lids for when I get dressed up. There is something almost magical about applying glitter to my face or decolletage. It is kinda like putting on armor (much lighter though) as I become invincible.
some of my favorite sparkly things
- sequins on sweaters. I am so glad this fashion is so readily available in many pricepoints so that there is enough sparkle available to brighten the world.
- glitter nail polish. Red, silver or gold are my favorites when it comes to fingertip sparkles.
- jewelry. Diamonds are an obvious fave but I also like rubies (my birthstone), amethyst (kids birthstone) or jewelry with different color crystals. Also, can’t forget the tiaras
- mermaid stuff. my favorite mermaid tails have plenty of sparkle to them. It is also the perfect opportunity to load up on glimmer makeup and jewelry. After all, mermaids can never have too much glitter!
- sequined/glitter shoes. Probably a throwback to the ruby slippers in Wizard of Oz, but some of my favorite shoes are all decked out in sparkles.
- sparkly outerwear/accessories. Why be limited to sweaters or shoes when it comes to glitz? I have several hats, scarves and gloves that add a bit of shine with a touch of sequins.
- handbags. I also consider metallic part of the sparkle spectrum. I have several purses in gold/silver/rose gold that catch light wherever I turn. As well as glinting, these metallic shades are perfect neutrals.
- champagne. Also called “sparkling wine” I see no reason to wait for a special occasion to pop open a bottle of Champagne to toast everyday successes.
- personalities. Ever notice when someone seems to sparkle from the inside? He is genuinely effervescent in the way he looks and interacts with you. I am immediately drawn to people who shine. This is not necessarily (although I won’t dismiss it) someone who is extraordinarily good looking.
- friendships. Some friends bring out the sparkle in me as well as themselves. We may both be covered in glitter (IE mermaid sista’s) or perhaps it is the conversation and the company that sparkles. Either way is good.
your own ode to sparkle
Like me, does sparkle make you happy? If so, what is your favorite sparkly thing? Share your thoughts and stories about what makes you sparkle.
This post was inspired by Mama’s Losin’ It weekly blog prompt. Kat’s blog sparkles plenty and makes me want to keep coming back for more.
- Vampires Don’t Sparkle (screenphiles.com)
- Sparkle (chelseameeks.wordpress.com)
- Add a little sparkle (fashionising.com)
- Trending: Glitter Ombre Nails (ambrylane.wordpress.com)
- Bling Bling | Jewelry | Fashion Clothing (interiorsbystudiom.com)
- You’re Never Fully Dressed Without Some Sparkle (lottia.wordpress.com)