I have taken the past few weeks (geez has it been that long?) off from my favorite writer’s prompt, Mama’s Losin’It. No, I have not grown tired of Kat’s antics. I needed some time to acclimate to my new job and the whole idea of creating work-life balance all over again. That, and I did spend time in Florida for Merpalooza this past month. Woot!
Anyways, I decided to join the fun once again this week with the weekly prompt… (drumroll please)
3.) Write a post that incorporates the word: balloon
Could I possibly pick a topic more random? What can I say about balloons. You blow them up, they eventually burst and life goes on. I smelled a challenge coming on. So rather than complain and write an entire post full of nonsense (doing pretty well so far with it. Don’t ya think?) I would compile a list relating to balloons. Let’s get started!
5 amazing uses for balloons
- a globe of some sort: Did you ever make one of those papier mache globey things in elementary school. I’m not sure of the age but I distinctly remember blowing up a balloon, covering it completely with pieces of newspaper drenched in goo, then painting the ball and eventually popping the balloon inside.
- sticking one in your nose: Maybe not the best use of a balloon but I also somewhat more dimly remember doing this as a kid. I had a knack for sticking various objects in my nose, only to be taken to the doctor for removal. Looking back on it, that was a really stupid thing to do.
- stuffing a bra: Who can think of a more economical and realistic thing to place in a bra? It is best to fill the balloon with something other than air as the balloons may shift and become dislodged more easily than if filled with goo. How about the leftover goo from the papier mache globe? Truthfully, I haven’t tried this since I was a preteen.
- shock your friends: Literally! It is great fun to take a balloon full of air, rub it back and forth quickly on your shirt for a few seconds then touch the nearest person to you. Hehehehe. That’ll teach them (for what I don’t know).
- make your own imaginary friend: Take a full balloon and a permanent marker. Make sure it isn’t just a regular felt tip pen or it will run all over the balloon and make a big mess. Draw a big smiley face and sit down for a chat. When you are thoroughly talked out you can use the balloon for any other amazing use.
- I completely made this one up but felt it necessary to end the list with 5 amazing uses rather than 4.
more ballooney things
I am sure there are loads of other things you can do with balloons. Some of them might actually be as amazing as the
four five I just shared. My son always loved making swords out of long twisty balloons. My daughter loved having water balloon fights in the summer with her friends. I always loved sucking helium from a balloon and talking like a chipmunk.
the balloon crown I wore in the picture above brings back great memories of a trip last summer to Las Vegas with my good friend and fellow mer-sister Cate Vail. Before we went home, we ate dinner at Margaritaville, where they made us matching crowns.
Cate double dog dared me to wear it all the way home on the plane. Since i am completely unable to turn down a double-dog dare, I walked through security wearing my balloon hat, sat on the plane and only took it off to drive home.
Oddly enough, I didn’t get too many comments as I was flying with a bunch of burners. To those on their way to Burning Man, a balloon crown was pretty tame. And me with my tail in cargo!! Oh well.
What amazing feats can you perform using a balloon? Like me, do you wear it as an accessory? Share your fondest balloon memories.
*How many times did I say balloon in this post? There is no prize for the winner. I am just curious and too lazy to count myself.